Sunday, August 24, 2008

Books, books and more books....

Well, I think I found out that my second love is making books! I ended up taking several book classes. I took two classes from Jill Berry and this group of books was from her "Five Books in One Day". There was a lot of "wows" in the class as we each would discover how this fold or that crease would work. I need to finish the house book yet, but the others are done. The one that says ART! on the front has a few Moo cards and signatures in it from the class.

This one was an evening class with Jacqueline Sullivan, "Stenciled, Textured Journal". I love the look of this book. It looks like you just dug it up somewhere. Very old world feeling! I was a great class to learn about different mediums and paints as well as another stitched binding.

This one was probably one of my most challenging classes and I really love the way the book came out. This was "Little Carved Beaded Journal" taught by Doris Arndt. We did everything from painting the pages to carving the front and back covers with an x-acto knife and I am not very good with those, but by the end of the day, I think I could say I am getting a lot better! The binding is really something and I didn't get it finished in class, but with a tip from Marcy (thanks Marcy!) I was able to finish it up at home! I really love the way this book came out. The purple book was one
I did in Kelly Kilmer's class, "A Few of My Favorite Things". This one came out totally different form the others and was a lot of fun. We also did a few challenges in class on how to better do a page to train the eye to go towards your focus point. I want to do more in this book and probably will add to the cover some. It will probably be a book "in progress" for quite a while as I learn new techniques for my pages!

My last class of the week was with Tracie Lyn and Marylin Huskamp for their "Miscellany of Vintage Fabric Journal". It was the perfect class to finish with. This pair have a wonderful, easy going class and it is like you have known them forever! The book is an accordion book and there is fabric everywhere in it. I did it in the purple and green to match my studio and left some of the pages without fabric so that I can sketch and make notes in it. All in all I did eleven books during Art Unraveled and each and everyone is different. I had to go out and buy a basket to put them in so I can put them on display in my studio. Thanks to all the wonderful teachers and for Linda and Chuck putting the week on. This was my second year and I had a wonderful time!!

3 comments:

Kelly Kilmer said...

Hi Carol,
It was great to meet you!! I hope you had fun in my class...and that you continue to work in your book!! :)
Play play play!
Hope to see you again soon! :)

Cris said...

Hi Carol,

Way to go. I know you love doing books and you just keep getting better and better. They are all great!!

Your friend, Cris

Doris A said...

Carol,
It was lovely to have you in class and I sure hope you enjoyed it. And I hope you will play with the ideas and make more books!
And what was the tip that Marcy gave you so that I can share it with others?
Hope to see you again soon.